This Blender tutorial will take you through rigging and animating a bow. This is an older tutorial but the rig is still compatible with Blender 3+. The project file download contains the start file and completed file for Blender 3+ as well.
We’ll rig the bow so that it bends back automatically when you pull back just one bone. We’ll do this by using IK constraints and a super awesome Limit Distance constraint. Thanks to Lee Salvemini for helping me get past some obstacles finding the most accurate and efficient way to rig this. Here’s what you’ll learn:
- Adding bones to deform a mesh
- Using Inverse Kinematics (IK) to control bone movement
- Limit Distance Constraint
- Limit Location Constraint
- Track To Constraint
- Animating the Bow drawing back and firing
And as always, if you have any questions about the tutorial you can email me.